Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Back In The Saddle

Refreshed from my respite from family life, I realize I should take care of myself better. I'd be a lot more fun to be with, that's for sure. And a lot nicer to my family. Sigh. So if I meditate a bit more often ... reflect on the things I love about my husband and kids ... and exercise regularly ... maybe I would smile and laugh more. Yeah, it's not rocket science.

On Friday before I left, my son had a meltdown about his new nanny. He seemed to be confused about her role in our family, and whether she was his "new mommy" or similar. It never occurred to me that this might be a question in his mind, yet looking back I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. So we addressed it, and it looks like we are back on track. His nanny is turning out to be a rock star. Attentive, observant, sensitive, intelligent, playful, consistent and firm. She's friendly, fun, energetic and has great values. I am thrilled!

This month I am going to practice some new stuff.

First, just for kicks, I'm going to stop myself when I feel guilty about not working long hours. Imagine that. Because after working incessantly and over-delivering on results for the last 28 years, I think I can throttle it back a notch.

Next, I am actually going to meditate to those fabulous Jon Kabat-Zinn guided meditation CDs at home. Those would be the ones I've been playing in my car (don't laugh) while fighting bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic. Yes, I actually thought I could pull off a "sitting meditation" on the 101 at 5:30 pm on a Monday. Yes, I'm obviously insane.

Last, I am going to institute some more family rituals. They sound trivial but when your family doesn't have rituals -- and mine is short on them -- it makes sense to start. For example: hugs and kisses to everyone/from everyone upon waking, leaving the house, and returning. Be the first one to kiss and hug my husband when he comes home from work. Good night kiss and hug to him as well, although I often sack out at 9 pm while he's working past midnight. Sunday night family dinner in the formal dining room with proper china and silverware for everyone. With the holidays coming, more opportunities to create new rituals for ourselves rather than rely on old ones from our parents' families.

All of this comes under the general headline: a fresh start with renewed vigor.

No comments: