Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Milestones ... A Nanny and An Initial Diagnosis

Last week we signed a contract with a nanny and yesterday was her first day of work. I'm sure that for many families in our area, this is a major non-event. For me, it represents a significant expression of trust -- bringing a stranger into our family home, sharing the care of our children, building a partnership to support our kids in raising them responsibly and appropriately. I think we got off to a terrific start, and nonetheless, I feel scared. Apprehensive. Wondering how it will all work out. I guess this is one of those things that literally The Journey, and not An Outcome.

Yesterday we also received initial diagnostic information about my son regarding possible learning differences. He's the most interesting, engaging and sensitive kid; creative, sensitive and gregarious. Just delightful. Nobody should be surprised that a mother believes this of her firstborn. But I'm probably more opinionated than most! We heard lots of stuff from the professionals. Some of it made sense, and some of it raised more questions vs. resolving them; at least in my mind. They said -- nix the private schools, stay at the public one, work with a pathologist after school, it will all come together and we should check back in three years to mark progress.

Now. The one thing I've learned, in my five measly years of parenting, is to trust my gut when it's calling loudly. And she is a-callin'. She says, "get 2nd and 3rd opinions; don't take their advice at face value; think hard and sleep on it; and do what you think is best." I am going to do just that. No more listening to the professionals without also applying my best judgment. I think I'm a professional too -- as my kid's mother and as a working professional in my field.

No comments: