Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's a Part-Time Life

I changed responsibilities at work. Instead of working on the 5-year systems integration project (which is headed straight for a brick wall, in my opinion), I asked to be removed from it altogether. This is a first in my life. Normally I would have stuck it out until it was unhealthy all around, just because I don't like to leave things until they are completed. So that is a good change. I asked to be reassigned to a product resolution / organizational structure development role, for a product that is in the shits. I am glad to be working on something that needs my attention and experience; rather than a large program that is immune to external influence.

There are a couple of perfectly perfect twists here. First, there is no actual headcount for me, although there are consulting dollars to cover my costs for about 4 months. So if I can bring this to some level of closure in 4 months, I can write myself out of a job and into a position where consulting makes a lot more sense. Next, I asked to work 30 hours/week. Given the budget limits and lack of headcount, everyone is incented to have me work less and therefore cost less. Again, in 4 months I will be surprised if it's not a slam dunk for me to leave the company as an employee and become a consultant.

Did I mention that I am ecstatic to be working 30 hrs/ week instead of full-time? Interestingly, it gives me greater focus on the actual number of hours I am working. In turn, this causes me to try to work very efficiently M-Th, and let everything go on F-Su. Who cares what happens? Bernie Madoff bilked who knows how many people of out $50B, for heaven's sake! Whatever I do will pale in comparison.

On that extra day per week, I am going to put myself first and do some very needed things for my family so we can enjoy ourselves during the weekend.

No comments: